Friday, October 26, 2007

Day 4 Surfing and Tannh Lot

The last day....

Earthquake in Indonesia..? I didn't feel it, I didn't know about it as there's no TV in room...!

I spent a little time walking around the town and found some more hostels around, cheaper (40,000 Rp compared to where I stayed 60,000 Rp with similar conditions and facilities). Final checked out and had my first lesson...

Surfing! Sounds nice but it was tiring. Indeed it could be a demented experience as you were being pushed by numerous waves before you lie on the surf board... and even worse you may fall off if the waves were too strong before u started to paddle for catching the wave..

I remembered a scene in the Japanese TV drama of 電車男 (Train man) which he tried to learn surfing and demonstrated in front of Hermes.... It was such a hard and tough time. Generally speaking, Surfing spend 90% time paddling and 10% for surfing. But I was spending 90% fall into water and less than 1% standing up... Only 1 time I could really ride the wave till reaching the shore (feeling was nice!). By then I could possibly not able to retake the lesson as the surf school has a "Standing-up" guarantee as one of their selling point... #_#

I got myself in one piece after all, took a meal and headed to the famous tour spot: Tanah Lot (temple by the sea). It took me awhile to decide the way to get there, choices: 1. Rent a motorbike and ride illegally without license (should apply international license before!); 2. Take a cap; 3. hire a driver... But I got my way on 4. Hire a motorbike rider to ride me there and then to the airport. (that was 3pm afternoon and my plane took off at 7:50pm).

The currency in Indonesia is Rupiah and the values are all in thousands (they still have 100 Rupiah coins as the lowest value). I was figuring out how to calculate into some currencies that I would be familiar in the first day and finally got it out: just cut the thousands (3 x 0s) and that would be an approx. of HK dollar.

Renting a motorbike costed 30,000 to 40,000 Rp a day. That was 3pm in the day and no shop neither lowered the fee nor allowed me to rent one without a license. Moreover I wasn't sure how to get there too (maybe just follow where the sun dropped?!). I dropped that idea and about to went for a cap (budget was allocated) but finally considered hiring a driver was the best way as I had to stay in the tour spot for a considerable amount of time which the fare meter might continue to jump... 70,000 Rp ( compare to what I read for the cap for 120,000 Rp) was the acceptable value between the driver and me (included the gas which cost 10,000 Rp for him to top up the tank during the trip), bon voyage..!

It was a long ride (45 minutes) but worth to as that was a postcard scene. There was also clips by the sea that reminded me the days in Australia looking at the 12 Apostles scenic view in Victoria.... The sound of the wave and the breeze, so refreshing and nice..

I stayed there for about an hour time and headed to the airport (to avoid the sunset which would be the rush hour for people watching the classic sunset postcard view). I reached the airport on time. It was a challenge to ride such a long trip with a heavy load but thank God time keeping was good and I saved my money for the expensive airport departure tax (100,000 Rp) which I wasn't expected (or didn't find it out before).

Back home, long for a nice shower and a good night sleep... though I got a bit toasted due to the sun...

Break ended, gonna start working in the weekend then...! ^^

ps. will upload photos later, got a lot of clips this time and will be in youtube..!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounded like great fun doc..felt i could see what you saw and feel what you felt while readin yer entries...but of course its not even close..i had amay-zing experiences on my vacation too..dint put it in a blog tho but in letters to loved ones..and etched in my memory which hopefully will never fade..it still feels surreal..i want to see what you saw and feel what you felt..someday maybe

12:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home